23 Jan 2013

Braised Cabbage with Garlic and Thyme

Braised Cabbage with Garlic and Thyme


So this is going to be my first proper recipe that I'm posting. You'll have to bear with me while I get used to transferring my cooking to proper recipes and amounts, I usually tend to dash, splash and sprinkle my way through recipes.

This is the previously mentioned cabbage from my Roast Leg of Lamb post.

Once when I was searching for a recipe to make cabbage more exciting I came across something very similar to this recipe, and this is based on that. I can't remember where the original idea came from, but if I ever find it, I'll add it in.


Cabbage fresh and muddy from the Yalding Farmer's Market


Serves 4-6 (depending on greed)

Ingredients
1 savoy cabbage
Several sprigs of fresh thyme
2 cloves of garlic
A good glug of olive oil
Medium knob of butter
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup of water





Method
Chop the garlic into matchstick shaped pieces
Put the oil, butter, garlic, thyme leaves, salt and pepper into a large, wide bottomed pan.
Keep on a low heat until the butter has melted, the pan starts to sizzle and you can smell the thyme
Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool while you chop the cabbage
Break off and wash the outer leaves of the cabbage (these ones were particularly muddy!)
Cut the stalks out and chop the leaves into shreds
Cut the centre of the cabbage in half and then cut out the core
Cut into quarters and then shred the leaves
Put all of the cabbage into the slightly cooled pan and put back onto a medium heat.
Keep the cabbage moving around the pan so that it gets coated in the garlic and thyme mixture
Keep the cabbage on a medium to high heat until it seems like it is sticking to the pan slightly and it might burn
Sprinkle some of the water over the cabbage,  and either keep it moving or put the lid on so that it can steam slightly
Keep adding a sprinkling of water when needed this until the cabbage is just cooked.
You can always add an extra knob of butter to keep the moisture up and for some extra indulgence.


Well that's that, the recipe that converted me to cabbage.



No comments:

Post a Comment